I want to appeal the grade I received in a course. What do I need to do?

A grade dispute is a claim levied by a student who believes that his or her course grade is incorrect, either through clerical error or the result of inaccurate grading by an instructor. As a general principle, it is the responsibility of the student to establish the grounds for any change of grade. All grade disputes must be initiated within one year of the disputed grade being first awarded. Once initiated, all student grade disputes will be addressed within the time frame established in the following procedures. Students who wish to appeal for a change of grade based upon withdrawal after deadline should review the policy above. Students should contact the appropriate dean for more information.

A grade may only be changed by the instructor of record or by the provost after an academic appeal has been settled. An academic appeal will be considered if there is evidence that one or more of the following conditions exist:

  • Error in calculation of grade
  • Deviation from the syllabus or college policies
  • Academic disparate treatment of student that is not addressed by the College’s equity and civil rights policies
  • Inappropriate penalties for an academic honesty violation or programmatic progression

An appeal will not be considered because of general dissatisfaction with a grade, penalty or outcome of a course. Disagreement with the instructor’s professional judgment of the student’s work and performance is also not an acceptable basis for an appeal.

The procedure for appealing for a change of grade follows:

  1. The student confers with the instructor that issued the grade as soon as possible after the grade is issued, but no later than one year after the grade is posted to the student’s record. If the instructor is no longer at the College or is not working that term, the student may notify the division dean, who will then determine how to proceed in the absence of the instructor.
  2. If the appeal is not resolved, the student confers with the Dean within five working days. The dean may ask for documentation as well as a written statement explaining the student’s rationale.
  3. If the appeal cannot be resolved at this level, the student may then petition the provost within five working days. The provost will require the student to submit in writing all the pertinent facts and supporting documents. The signed appeal shall be submitted to the provost within 10 working days of the initial meeting with the provost. If the student does not provide the written appeal within 10 working days, the procedure shall terminate.
  4. If the student provides the written appeal to the provost within the agreed time period, the provost will investigate.
  5. The student will be notified within 10 working days of the decision of the provost or if the appeal requires a hearing by the Academic Appeals Committee.
  6. If the provost determines that the appeal meets the criteria, he or she will convene the Academic Appeals Committee to consider the complaint. The provost will notify the student of the Academic Appeals Committee meeting date, his or her rights, and the next steps in the process.
  7. The decision of the provost will be final.
Need Help? |   Ask a Question  |  Call (850) 201- 4444


Print Article


Article ID: 24185
Fri 2/3/17 4:21 PM
Fri 3/3/17 4:46 PM